As you sigh contentedly after a holiday feast, the thought of dessert seems impossible...until you see the table laden with homemade treats. All of a sudden you remember that you have a second stomach just for desserts because you see something calling your name...a moist gluten-free thumbprint cookie with raspberry jam! These delicious cookies are a perfect healthy alternative to the conventional holiday cookie with gluten free flours and agave syrup, but no one will be able to tell the difference.
My family LOVES thumbprint cookies, they are an absolute staple for the holiday season and they bring a smile to all of our faces. Last holiday season I created this gluten-free version of a thumbprint cookie and it quickly became a new favorite in the house. Unlike other gluten-free cookies, these thumbprints are moist and have a great texture. They rival every regular cookie!
-- Jacquilyn Anderson, of Jacquilyn in the Kitchen
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup agave syrup
2 eggs, 1 egg separated
1 tsp. vanilla
¼ cup low-fat sour cream
1 tbs. water, set aside
1/3 cup almond meal + 1/3 cup optional for coating
1 cup rice flour (I used brown rice flour)
½ cup soy flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. xanthum gum
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup + raspberry jam or apricot
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees & line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients (almond meal, rice flour, soy flour, tapioca flour, salt, cinnamon, baking soda and xanthum gum). Mix well and set aside.
3. Mix the butter and agave well in a mixing bowl on medium speed for at least 30 seconds, then scrape the sides and mix again for another 15-30 seconds. It won’t look pretty and the butter and agave won’t completely blend, this is ok.
4. Next add 1 egg and 1 egg yolk (save the egg white for later) beating 20 seconds after each addition.
5. Add the vanilla and sour cream. Blend well.
6. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet and blend well. The dough will be sticky.
7. Prepare your egg wash by whisking 1 egg white and 1 tablespoon of water together in a bowl. Have your walnuts and/or almond meal ready on a plate to roll the cookies in. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Now take a spoonful of dough and dip it into the egg wash, which will make it easier for you to roll into a ball. Each ball should be about 1″ around. Next, roll the ball in walnuts or almond meal. Place the ball on the lined cookie sheet and put your thumb in the middle to make an imprint in the center where the jam will go later. Repeat this process for each cookie and space about 2″ apart on the cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 10 minutes. Chances are you will have to make a new imprint because the cookies will rise. So take a spoon and make an indent in the center of each cookie. Place back in the oven for 4-5 minutes or until cookies are golden brown on top.
9. Let cookies cool and then place a spoonful of jam in the center of each cookie. Enjoy!
If you want to leave your mark this holiday season with a special dessert treat, try our gluten-free thumbprint cookies with raspberry jam, courtesy of Jacquilyn Anderson, of Jacquilyn in the Kitchen. You can find the recipe, along with a handful of others in our holiday cookbook, Sugar and Spice!
Have a recipe that you are interested in sharing? We'd love to see it! Send your instructions and unedited photos to email@example.com for a chance to join our Ruche Blogger Family and become published.