What is the purpose of literature? There are endless answers to this question, but perhaps what it comes down to, ultimately, is that we read in order to know how to live, to cultivate empathy and recognize the universality of experience. And, well, we also read to be immersed in the truly great love stories locked away in the pages! Whenever we’re in a romantic mood, we pull up love quotes from books that inspire and move us. We’re head over heels for the kinds of quotes that expand and deepen our understanding of love. So, in anticipation of one of the most romantic days of the year, here are ten of our favorite love quotes from books!
Image via Zen Drawing Etsy shop
1. “I think... if it is true that there are as many minds as there are heads, then there are as many kinds of love as there are hearts.” ~ Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
2. “I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough...” ~ The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks
3. “Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” ~ Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
4. “You are part of my existence, part of myself. You have been in every line I have ever read, since I first came here… You have been in every prospect I have ever seen since – on the river, on the sails of the ships, on the marshes, in the clouds, in the light, in the darkness, in the wind, in the woods, in the sea, in the streets. You have been the embodiment of every graceful fancy that my mind has ever become acquainted with. The stones of which the strongest London buildings are made, are not more real, or more impossible to be displaced by your hands, than your presence and influence have been to me, there and everywhere, and will be.” ~ Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
5. “He knew that when he kissed this girl, and forever wed his unutterable visions to her perishable breath, his mind would never romp again like the mind of God. So he waited, listening for a moment longer to the tuning-fork that had been struck upon a star. Then he kissed her. At his lips' touch she blossomed for him like a flower and the incarnation was complete.” ~ The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. “As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.” ~ The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
7. “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” ~ The History Of Love by Nicole Krauss
8 .“Perhaps it is our imperfections that make us so perfect for one another.” ~ Emma by Jane Austen
9. “Her life with others no longer interests him. He wants only her stalking beauty, her theatre of expressions. He wants the minute secret reflection between them, the depth of field minimal, their foreignness intimate like two pages of a closed book.” ~ The English Patient by Michael Ondaatje
10. “Each time you happen to me all over again.” ~ The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton
What are some of your favorite quotes about love? We would love for you to share them with us in the comments below.
Happy Valentine’s Day!