If you’re having a difficult week, freewriting can be a simple and beneficial form of self-therapy. While it’s often helpful to reflect on your day by releasing bottled-up emotions in a serious, emotional journaling session, sometimes the best way to lift your spirits is to take the humorous approach. If you’re in need of cheering up, are struggling with a lot of excess stress, or are just looking to think outside the box, try freewriting to one of the following silly prompts.
Print via Mary Rose Hall
1. Imagine you are Tina Fey. What would you write in your diary today?
2. Write from the perspective of a pet with a secret second life. What if your cat was in the FBI? What about a yorkie who hangs out with A-listers? Describe the animal’s thoughts as they sneak out from their family’s home to tend to their alternate reality.
3. “And that wasn’t even the strange part...” Use this phrase to inspire your story! Begin your prose with it or weave the phrase into your piece later on.
4. Freewrite in the voice of a self-entitled teenager. Describe your surroundings, a situation that annoys you, or come up with an entirely fictional scenario. Just make sure to channel a snobby, whining tone!
5. Dream up the most absurd vacation possible. Did you just win two tickets to Mars? Are you going to participate in an underwater circus off the coast of Iceland? Write about the experience!
We hope these writing prompts have sparked your creativity! Have you ever tried humor writing as a form of stress relief? Now’s the time!