If wedding bells are in your future, we’re guessing you’re busy calling up vendors, daydreaming about the dress, and pinning to your Pinterest boards with sheer enthusiasm. While our favorite weddings have a timeless appeal, the loveliest nuptials also incorporate of the moment wedding trends, so we wanted to break down a few for you here! Trust us, even a vintage-inspired affair or the most classic of ceremonies can be infused with wedding trends for a chic, modern update. Whether you’re saying “I do” in a church or a rustic field, there is something in our list of 2014 wedding trends that is sure to inspire you. So without further ado, here are the 5 wedding trends for 2014 that we’re already swooning over.
1. Art Deco: The 1920’s have long been a favorite era among vintage-loving brides, but the glamour and glitz is in full swing this year thanks to the release of the Baz Luhrmann film, The Great Gatsby. This 2014 wedding trend is all about beautifully incorporating the old Hollywood glamour of the period without making your wedding into a theme party. Expect to see crystals, feathers, chandeliers, fur wraps, flapper-inspired and cap sleeve gowns, and sparkly hair embellishments, not to mention a profusion of black, white, and gold!
2. Rustic Romance: Just when you thought mason jars at weddings might be getting a little old, the rustic wedding trend got a romantic make-over! Blame it on our nation’s obsession with English export, Downton Abbey, but lace, frills, black tie formality, and all things Victorian elegance are shaking up rustic barnyard weddings like never before! Think pretty pastels, romantic florals, and Old World touches combined with the laidback outdoor ambiance and roughly-hewn wooden tables of a rustic setting.
3. Out with Matchy-Matchy: Mismatched bridesmaid dresses has been a wedding trend for some time now, but it’s starting to pop up at more and more weddings (like these gorgeous grey gowns). And it makes sense! The girls in your bridal party may have many different body types, so finding one dress to suit them all can be quite difficult. While some brides opt for bridesmaid dresses in a similar style with variations in cut, others simply give their bridesmaids a range of hues and let them choose their own, which means your bridesmaids may actually get to wear their dress again long after the toasts and dancing!
4. Digital Decisions: In the age of smartphones, couples have to decide which side of the wedding trend they want to be on. To be completely plugged in, some couples download photo-sharing apps or create a custom Instagram hashtag for their wedding, making all the Insta-snaps from guests easily searchable. Other couples are taking the radically opposite approach, opting for an unplugged wedding. This new wedding trend asks guests to be fully present throughout the day by turning off their phones or leaving them behind, trusting the professional photographer to take the wedding day photos so you can actually watch the day unfold without a phone in front of your face.
5. Color me Pantone: The Pantone color of the year often finds colorful expression in fashion, interior design, and of course… wedding trends! Radiant orchid was recently tapped as the color of the year, and with its vibrant interplay of pink and purple, we’re sure the bride who loves bright hues will find a way to incorporate this color into her wedding! A whole range of purples, from lavender to richer shades, will be seen in bridal accessories, bouquets, wedding florals, accent lighting, and décor in 2014.
We hope this 2014 wedding trends round-up inspires an afternoon of fun wedding planning and joyful Pinterest pinning! Will you be joining in on any of these trends?