We are simply smitten with belted looks for this fall. Your dresses and skirts may not have belt loops, but that doesn’t mean they don’t deserve cute belts! We can’t think of another accessory that so easily enhances your style, flatters your figure, and pulls together any outfit, so below we have put together some tips on how to wear belts.
Five tips on how to wear belts:
1. Choose the appropriate style: You want to pick the appropriate belt for each occasion. For example, if you’re adding a belt to cropped pants, work appropriate style dictates something simple like black or brown leather. If you’re not headed to the office, add a knotted belt for a more casual look, and loop it around itself.
2. Wear skinny belts over skirts: A skinny belt looks great with cropped pants or over a cardigan, but it also adds a lovely finishing touch to a skirt and tucked in blouse. Wear it a little more loosely over a skirt, beneath the waistline.
3. Add contrast to an outfit: One of the cutest belted looks is adding contrast with texture or color. A neutral top or black and white mod print can be enhanced by a bright belt or a contrasting texture for a visual pop.
4. Create a waistline: One of the reasons our belts are our best friends is the ladylike silhouettes they create! A skinny belt paired with chunky knits or cardigans defines your waste and keeps the look from being boxy. Alternately, a wide belt over a dress is perfect for a nipped in look.
5. Go for a color-blocking effect: Break up a solid color or an eclectic print with a wide belt in a contrasting color to create a fun color-blocking look while adding definition to your waist.
With these tips in mind, we hope belts become one of your fall layering essentials! And be sure to shop our collection of cute belts, along with the vintage-inspired dresses, tops, and bottoms that look darling when belted.