Hi, ladies! Did you notice the backgrounds in our winter lookbook? Here's how we created our wonderland atmosphere, with the collaboration of Summer from Grey Likes Weddings and art direction/photography by Stephanie Williams. We hope you can use these ideas or find inspiration for your wedding or birthday photo booths, engagement photo shoots, holiday cards, party decor, or whatever else your creative heart desires.
1. Blow up balloons to different sizes, and try to mold them into spheres as you blow them up. We used regular party balloons that you can find at the store, but you can search online for larger balloons as well. Tie the balloons instead of knotting them.
2. Mix Elmers Glue (the basic white glue) with water in a bowl. We recommend adding a little bit of water at a time so prevent the mixture from becoming too thin. The end result should be similar to the consistency of paint.
3. This next step is just like paper mache. Pick out any yarn of your choice and dip the yarn into the glue mixture. Wrap the yarn around the balloons until you've reached your desired look.
4. Hang the wrapped balloons from the knot to dry. It may take a day or two for them to dry completely. Once dry, the balloons will fill stiff.
5. Try to separate the balloon from the yarn by pushing the balloon. Slowly let the air out of the balloons by untying the tie (rather than popping them) and continue to gently separate the yarn from the balloon's surface.
Tah-dah! You now have amazing and unique decorations.
Mixed Media Streamers
For this background we hung parchment paper and rolled it down to the floor. In front of it, we hung tulle, cotton fabric, coffee filters, and confetti streamers.
1. Cut the tulle into strips varying thickness. Hang the strips as they are or tie random knots to add interest. To add volume, string fishing line through the tulle, tie a knot, scrunch up the fabric, and tie another knot to keep the tulle puffy and in place.
2. Here's the easiest step! Cut any cotton fabric of your choice into strips. Mix it up with patterns and textured fabric.
3. String fishing line through the coffee filters and tie a knot in the line wherever you want filters to stop. Play around with the spacing for interest.
4. The confetti streamers can be found in any party supply section. You can twist, scrunch, or leave the streamers as they are. Let your creativity soar with this step.
And that's it! You've created your own wonderland atmosphere. We'd love to see photos if you end up trying out any of these tips!