As much as we love our pumpkin spice lattes and our pumpkin butter (thank you Trader Joe's!), the joy of picking out an actual pumpkin at a local pumpkin patch is an October essential. But pumpkin carving can be messy or too tricky for little ones, so we wanted to find some creative no-carve alternatives for one of our favorite fall activities. While a spooky jack-o-lantern will always be classic for Halloween, here are some creative options for decorating your pumpkin (sans the stringy orange goo!).
1. The Painted Pumpkin: My Sweet Savannah experimented with pumpkin painting by taping off sections of the pumpkin into this lovely chevron pattern. We would love to try this with sparkly gold paint!
2. Yarn Wrapped Pumpkin: This DIY from Two Shades of Pink explains how to wrap your harvest season gourd in yarn to make a pretty piece of autumn decor. We love the fall hues of green and yellow paired with the cream white and the spiral patterns are so darling!
3. Fabulous Floral Pumpkin: Lowes explains how to turn your pumpkin into a beautiful bouquet. Daisies or mums make lovely pumpkin decor, and covering your pumpkin in flowers is a beautiful no carve option that looks stunning both day and night!
4. Sparkle and Shine Pumpkin: Stylish Eve loves glitter as much as we do! Turning your pumpkin into a shining work of art is both easy and fun with this tutorial. Plus, the dim lighting of Halloween night will make this pumpkin stand out!
5. The Crayon Drip Pumpkin: The Swede Records have found a way to turn decorating your pumpkin into a fun art project! The colorful designs on these pumpkins are created with melted crayon wax. We would love try this and experiment with some of our favorite fall colors like mustard yellow and emerald green! Whether you want your pumpkin to sparkle or be covered with flowers, these alternatives to a traditional pumpkin carving are sure to impress local trick-or-treaters and guests at your next Halloween soiree! Looking for more decorating ideas? Check out our Printable Pumpkin Stencils and our DIY Painted Pumpkins!