Monday shines a little brighter this week because today is Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day! Today we celebrate the bravery and compassion shown by the humanitarian and leader of the U.S. Civil Rights Movement. We remember his legacy and life, and honor what would have been his 86th birthday by sharing our favorite facts about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Image via The BBC
Here are a few things you may not have known about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.!
1. His birth name was not actually Martin, but Michael King Jr! He decided to change it after becoming a minister.
2. We all know King was quite intelligent, but not many know that he entered college at the age of 15 and graduated with a bachelor's degree at 19.
3. Winning in 1964 at the age of 35, he remains the youngest man to ever receive the Nobel Peace Prize.
4. Because they could not find any hotels that would accommodate African-Americans, Dr. King and his wife spent their wedding night in a friend's funeral parlor.
5. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is also celebrated in Hiroshima, Japan and Toronto, Canada.
We hope your Monday is filled with living beautifully, Ruchettes!