Anorak, army green utility jacket, cargo coat, military inspired outerwear, field jacket…so many different possible names to give to one of our favorite fall trends. As our favorite English bard wrote in Romeo and Juliet, “A rose by any name would smell as sweet” and we couldn’t agree more! There may be many names for the green cargo jacket, but one thing everyone can agree on is that it’s a must-have fall essential
Since our Lynden Hooded Utility Jacket is on our “Chilly Weather List”, we thought we would talk a little more about how to incorporate this versatile staple into your fall wardrobe. Especially since we were a little uncertain at first ourselves, wondering how this menswear-inspired coat would complement a ladylike, sophisticated, and classic style. But it turns out this coat will become best friends with everything in your closet, from dresses to tailored cropped pants, and before you know it you’ll be throwing it over everything! So here are 5 styling tips for transforming the green military-inspired coat into a functional and feminine fall essential:
1. Balance the military-inspired feel with more girly details, like pleats, ruffles, statement necklaces, and sparkly embellishments.
2. Pair this fall essential with classic prints like polka dots, stripes, and plaid for the perfect mix of tough edge with vintage-inspired refinement.
3. A green cargo jacket is a go-to outerwear choice for shorter dresses and skirts. It can also tone down a going out/occasion dress to make it look cute for an everyday ensemble.
4. Top off your casual weekend attire with this coat for a more put together look for running errands, grabbing coffee with a friend, or going on a walk to the park. It works well with skinny jeans, boyfriend jeans, or over a casual dress.
5. Lastly, it’s important to consider your beauty look before you toss on a military jacket. To keep your look sophisticated, opt for soft make-up (although the pop of a bright lip shade is always pretty!) and a cute, simple hairstyle, like a loose braid, a top-knot, or loose waves.
And here’s how our favorite bloggers are wearing theirs:
Emily of Cupcakes and Cashmere always incorporates the trends into her personal style in ways that inspire us! Here she shows us just how versatile a military inspired jacket can be, wearing it with a classic outfit of white trousers and a chambray button-up and then pairing it with a chic, all black ensemble. In each picture though, you can see how her beauty look softens the menswear element of the coat, first with a bright lip color and a loose braid, and in the next, with neutral, soft make-up and loose waves.
This darling outfit from Blair of Atlantic Pacific is a cute example of how a military-inspired jacket can be the perfect offset to girly details. Her white feather skirt, animal print heels, and classic striped top get a bit of an edge when paired with a green anorak. And belting it is a nice touch that also adds a bit of tailored sophistication!
Kendi of Kendi Everyday can do no wrong in our books! We’re smitten with her style, and love how she makes this shorter dress an everyday style option by adding a green cargo jacket. This outfit shows just how effortlessly a going out dress can be made appropriate for lunch meetings and coffee dates with the right jacket.