Borrowing from the boys is something stylish women have been doing for years, and it’s a trend that isn’t going anywhere because there is something inherently classic about the balance between elegance and masculinity, between girly details and tailored menswear looks. Putting together an ensemble with the perfect interplay of feminine sophistication and menswear style is an art, but one that any girl can (and should!) master. Whether you edge towards classic, girly, polished, rustic, or retro, you can adapt the tomboy aesthetic to your style. It takes a hint of rebelliousness and playfulness to mix something you might find in your boyfriend’s closet with sophisticated, feminine pieces, so incorporating menswear inspired looks into your wardrobe speaks volumes to your style confidence. But if you’ve ever traipsed around the house in a man’s button up or given your skinnies a break and slipped into your boyfriend’s jeans, then you know exactly how fun it can be to borrow from the boys!
Here’s how some style bloggers are wearing the trend! First up is Jessica Quirk of What I Wore who feminizes her utility coat by mixing and matching black and white prints. Jessica's boyish plaid button up and fitted blazer are complimented by a statement necklace and flats.Stephanie Liu of Honey & Silk wears our favorite fall hue, mustard yellow, along with a boyish chambray top and pretty accessories like sandals and bracelets. Sarah Vickers of Classy Girls Wear Pearls maintains classic femininity her menswear inspired blazer with a sparkly jewelry and ruffled dress.
Here are our 5 tips for menswear-inspired style:
1. Instead of wearing menswear-inspired attire from head to toe, be sure to mix in girly pieces. One or two pieces in an ensemble might be more tomboyish, like a tweed blazer and Oxfords, and then you would pair them with heels, a ladylike blouse, and skinny jeans.
2. A printed blazer, in houndstooth or tweed, looks like it belongs on a preppy Oxford professor. But you can toss it over a feminine dress or full skirt for a cute menswear look! We suggest finding a blazer that nips in at the waist for figure-flattering definition.
3. Having a green military jacket in your fall line-up is a must! Accessorize a military jacket with pumps, a structured bag, and girly details like a Peter Pan collar and sparkly statement earrings to balance out the tough masculine edge.
4. Vests are a cute way to add some menswear layering to an outfit. Just be sure you’re pairing a vest with ladylike florals or peplum.
5. And the most classic of menswear inspired looks? Boyfriend jeans and heels. It never fails!
How are you wearing menswear-inspired pieces? We’d love to hear your favorite pieces to borrow from the boys in the comments below! Lastly, be sure to browse our Girl Meets Boy feature for more inspiration, and shop the collection for the menswear inspired pieces that belong in every girl’s closet.