There's nothing better than waking up to the smell of waffles on a crisp, cool morning. It's nostalgically reminiscent of childhood days and running down the stairs to plates piled high with freshly cooked waffles. Now you can prepare some yourself - and be sure to ready the syrup!
This is probably my children's favorite breakfast. For birthdays at our house we serve breakfast in bed and Overnight Yeast Waffles are always requested by all four children. Now that my children are young adults and no longer living at home, when they come home for a visit I ask them what they would like for me to fix them. The first response is always "Overnight Waffles!"
-- Leigh Anne Wilkes, of Your Homebased Mom
½ cup warm water
1 package dry yeast
2 cups milk, warmed
½ cup butter (1 cube), melted
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. granulated sugar
2 cups flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
1. Using a large mixing bowl, place water in bowl and sprinkle in the yeast. Let stand for 5 minutes while the yeast dissolves. The batter will rise to double its original volume.
2. In a medium saucepan, warm the milk on the stove and add the butter so that it can melt as the milk warms. Be careful not to let the milk boil or get too hot.
3. Add the milk and butter, salt, sugar and flour to the yeast mixture and stir until blended. Consistency should be smooth. A hand beater can be used if necessary to get rid of lumps.
4. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.
5. Just before cooking the waffles, beat in the eggs, add the baking soda, and stir until well mixed. The batter will be very thin.
6. Pour about 1/2 to 3/4 cup batter into a very hot waffle iron.
7. Bake the waffles until they are golden and crisp. Serve and enjoy!
Courtesy of Leigh Anne Wilkes, of Your Homebased Mom, we bring to you the overnight yeast waffle! This ever-so-easy recipe is perfect for a winter morning or even a delightful breakfast-for-dinner. Find it in our holiday cookbook, Sugar and Spice, and share our tasty delights with family and friends!
Have a recipe that you are interested in sharing? We'd love to see it! Send your instructions and unedited photos to email@example.com for a chance to join our Ruche Blogger Family and become published.