We adore this simple and easy photobooth project created by Sam, a Ruche Blogger Family member. These bow ties will easily create smiles and memorable photos for your guests!
- Fashionable fabric
- Scissors Glue gun and glue gun sticks
- Felt or a padded material to act as interfacing (to give the bow more body)
- A sturdy wooden dowel
- A threaded sewing machine
1. Cut two pieces of fabric: 3 x 4 1/2″ for center and 3 x 24″ for bow.
2. Cut the felt piece to 3x12".
3. Fold your large piece of fabric in half the short way with the wrong sides facing out. Once folded, it will measure the same size as the felt piece. Place the piece of felt on top of the fabric. Pin the three layers together then straight stitch along three edges of the rectangle, leaving one short end open for folding. So make sure it's the trimmed/open end of the fabric that you leave un-stitched, not the folded end.
4. Turn your bow inside out.
5. Fold it once more in half, stitching the open end to the finished end.
6. Flip that inside out so that the stitched end is now on the inside (you should have formed a loop at this point).
7. Fold your smaller piece of fabric in half the long way. Sew a seam along the edge opposite the folded edge. Turn inside out.
8. Now carefully create another loop with this small piece by doing the same as you did with the bow: sew the unfinished edges together and flip it inside out once more so that the edge is hidden inside. The reason to be careful: you don't want this to be too small of a loop that you cannot fit the bow piece through it. Better to make it larger by sewing the seam close to the edge. If it's too loose, you can always go back and sew a tighter loop.
9. As mentioned in the last step, slip your bow piece through the smaller center piece. It should be nicely finished with no seams showing. Everything should be tucked within. I found the wooden dowel helpful to push the fabric where i wanted it.
10. Finally, with your heated glue gun, place a bit of glue on the end of the dowel (about an inch at most coverage) and slide it between the center piece and bow, at the back of course. Let it cool and voila.
Now... Say cheese! These are the perfect, stylish party prop.