We love everything that autumn brings, from pumpkin spice lattes to apple picking outings, and to be honest, we even get a little giddy about rainy days! While you can always head to an art gallery, café, or movie theater when the drizzly weather hits, sometimes nothing is cozier than a day spent inside at home, while the rain pitter patters on the rooftop. Leave the umbrella in the closet and venture out another time: here are some fun things to do on a rainy day!
1. Netflix Movie Marathon: There is nothing that inspires a movie marathon like a rainy day. Bundle up in a cozy sweater and cuddle up on the couch for romantic comedy after romantic comedy. Oh, and for the ultimate movie-watching experience, make sure you stock a popcorn cart with all your buttery needs and snacking goodies, just like this inspiring example from blogger Katie of the Skunkboy Creatures!
Image Source: Sofia Thompson Photography
2. Comfort Food: On a drizzly afternoon, what could be more comforting than a warm bowl of soup? Look at some of your favorite food blogs (we particularly adore Smitten Kitchen, The Pioneer Woman, and Joy the Baker) for easy soup recipes, and then start chopping, dicing, and peeling.
Image Source: Joy The Baker
3. Hot Chocolate Date: The coffee date may reign supreme as the way to meet up and catch up with friends, but why not make things a little sweeter by swapping caffeine for hot chocolate? Make it even more special by creating a hot chocolate station, with toppings like whipped cream, marshmallows, caramels, candy canes, and chocolate shavings. Once it’s all set up, invite a couple friends over to indulge together!
Image Source: A Beautiful Mess
4. Pretty Nails: When it’s chilly outside, skip the salon and give yourself a mani/pedi. In fact, why not think of it as a spa day at home? The rainy day pampering can continue with a deep conditioner for your hair, a salt scrub for your skin, a luxurious bubble bath, and a face mask (bonus points for cucumber slices!)
Image Source: A Beautiful Mess
5. Good Reads: If you’re like us, you have a stack of books you want to read, but it never seems like there’s enough time. So curling up with a good read and a pot of tea is always on our list of things to do on a rainy day.
6. Game night: There’s something about staying in that always makes us want to get out the board games. Prepare a few game night snacks and then set out Monopoly, Apples to Apples, Trivial Pursuit…whatever brings out your competitive board game spirit!
Image Source: Martha Stewart
7. Cookies and Milk: Bake a batch of homemade peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, and then eat one (or two, or three, we’re not counting) with a glass of milk, for proper childhood nostalgia. Of all the things to do on a rainy day, baking is sure to yield a lot of joy…and 2 dozen cookies, if you followed the recipe right!
Image Source: Souhaites' Flickr
8. Craft Room: We’re always bookmarking fun DIY projects and crafts, but sometimes we get too busy to actually break out the hot glue gun and glitter or decoupage an old wooden box. A rainy afternoon is the perfect time to get creative and start knitting, scrapbooking, or crafting something new!
Image Source: creJJtion Blog
9. Triangle Pose: Doing something active will make you feel better and energized for the rest of the day. There are lots of great Yoga and Pilates workouts that can be found online, so grab your yoga mat and make your living room your studio. Whether you do 15 minutes of gentle Hatha yoga or an intense hour of flowing through poses, your body will thank you!
Image Source: Jack Affleck Flickr
10. Give in to Pinterest: We’ll say it: Pinterest can be addicting! But when you’re looking for things to do on a rainy day, there’s nothing so fun as devoting a couple hours to pinning. Whether you’re dreaming about re-decorating your living room, starting to plan your wedding, or want to pin outfit ideas to a personal style board, we think you should give in to Pinterest.
Image Source: Ruche Pinterest
A little rain can’t dampen your spirits if you have something fun to look forward to! And, no matter what you find yourself doing on your day in, put on ideas on your rainy day to-do list and enjoy the coziness and slower pace of a quiet afternoon.