Summer is all about tasty treats that are simple to make and easy to enjoy under the summer sun. Mixing in a healthy component into your afternoon snacks is essential and Cynthia of We Make a Beautiful Mess has the perfect little something that gives us our daily intake of vegetables! Her roasted tomatoes on toast is perfect to enjoy with a glass of iced tea and a group of friends. She even grew all of the heirloom tomatoes herself and has inspired us to start a little summer veggie garden outside our office! See her other two wonderful summer recipes on our blog: Grapefruit Mojito and Strawberry Galette.
The warm days that we've had these last couple of days have brought lots of life to my garden. Growing my own food gives me the opportunity to put together quick and delicious lunches with ease. Lately, I have been filling bowls of perfectly ripe tomatoes that are still warm from the afternoon sun. Which brings me to this absolutely delicious lunch. Buttery toast topped with roasted tomatoes. I am telling you its pretty easy to make and its perfect for fun lunches in the office. Feel free to get creative, I used this combination because that's what I have in my garden.
--Cynthia of We Make A Beautiful Mess
1/2 lbs of assorted heirloom tomatoes or whatever is available to you
1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
4 steams of fresh thyme
Pinch of sea salt
Fresh black pepper
Small Loaf of Bread from Trader Joe's
Handful of baby greens, assorted
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a large bowl whisk together oil, chopped thyme, salt and pepper. Add tomatoes and toss gently. Make sure all the tomatoes are coated with the oil and herb mixture.
3. Spread tomatoes out onto a rimmed baking sheet, cut side up. If you have leftover thyme place it on the baking sheet with the tomatoes
4. Roast in the oven for about 25 min or until tomatoes are dried on the outside but still a bit juicy on the inside.
5. You can enjoy these immediately or allow them to cool and store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
6. Rub bread with butter and toast (you could add a slice of cheese too). Spread avocado, add roasted tomatoes, fresh black pepper, and top with a handful of baby greens.
If you have a recipe you'd like to share too, email it (along with unedited images) to email@example.com. We'd love to include you in the Blogger Family!