As we begin to say farewell to lemonade stands and summer soirees, our hearts start longing for pumpkin patch outings and the beauty of fall foliage. And whether you’re headed back to school or back to the office, the arrival of fall heralds the time for a fall wardrobe update. But don’t pack away all your light, summery clothes just yet! Transitioning summer clothes to fall allows you to keep some of your favorite summer pieces at the front of your closet as they are perfect for layering in chillier weather. The key is to make the switch to more autumnal accessories and incorporate summer clothes with fall fashion essentials. We hope these fall fashion tips and our new style feature help take the guesswork out of transitioning summer clothes to fall!
1. Maxi dresses: Pair your flowy summer maxi dresses with a slouchy knit or cardigan in a rich fall hue and ankle boots. Autumnal colors complement summer pieces and ankle boots instantly bring summer dresses into this season.
2. Lace: Lace was everywhere this summer, and we aren’t ready to part with this dainty, feminine fabric. Try incorporating lace into a rustic-chic fall ensemble by pairing a lace top with a midi skirt, a skinny brown belt, and ankle boots.
3. Chambray: Those chambray button-ups and dresses you wore all summer long are an essential fall layering piece! Top a chambray button-up with a cardigan a in fall hue or layer a chambray dress over maroon colored tights. As with other fall outfits that incorporate summer pieces, accessories like fall boots and a structured bag help create a more polished look.
4. Yellow: Pair summery yellow clothes with tailored, polished fall staples, like pencil skirts, cropped pants, and peplum, in order to balance the sunny playfulness of the color with autumn sophistication.
5. Nautical stripes: Nautical stripes are a perennial Ruchette staple that go the distance year-round! Come fall, our striped tops part ways with shorts and sandals, and say hello to cropped pants and lady-like pumps. For an extra chic look, pair stripes with fall fashion accessories like structured purses and statement necklaces.
Once you master the art of layering and adding fall fashion elements, transitioning summer clothes to fall is easy-breezy! Browse our style feature, Turning Leaves, for more fall fashion inspiration.