With Thanksgiving just around the corner, the time is coming for that moment when we loosen the zipper on the side of our skirt just a little bit to indulge in the festive feast. One of our gorge-worthy favorites will always be stuffing! This cranberry apple stuffing is sure to make everyone around the table happy and induce the much anticipated turkey day food-coma. Enjoy!
The stuffing was one of my contributions to Friendsgiving. I was attempting to make a stuffing dish like one my brother in law's girlfriend made. This one turned out very similar, and I love all the flavors! This stuffing is vegetarian friendly. But if you want to make it a little bit heartier, you could add cubed sausage.
-- Elsie & Emma, of A Beautiful Mess
Makes one 9x11 casserole dish
1 ½ loaves stale Italian bread
½ cup (1 stick) butter
2 medium onions
2 medium apples
½ cup sunflower seeds
½ cup dried cranberries
4 cups veggie broth
2 tsp garlic powder
½ tsp paprika
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp dried ginger
¼ tsp nutmeg
salt + pepper to taste.
1. First, lightly butter your baking dish. Then melt the remaining butter in a medium sized pot.
2. Stir in all the spices. Add the chopped onions and apples and stir so that every piece gets coated in butter. Pour in the stock.
3. In a large bowl combine the cubed bread with the butter mixture. Add the eggs and toss so everything gets coated evenly. Add in the nuts and cranberries and pour into your baking dish.
4. Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes with the top covered with foil.
5. Then remove the foil and allow to bake for another 30-35 minutes.
Whether you're looking for a vegetarian friendly dish or something with a flavorful change, Elsie and Emma, of A Beautiful Mess, have shared this fantastic recipe. This stuffing will surely go down in the books as one of the best! Find it in our holiday cookbook, Sugar and Spice, which has everything you could want and more for your holiday food season.
Have a recipe that you are interested in sharing? We'd love to see it! Send your instructions and unedited photos to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to join our Ruche Blogger Family and become published.